It is Rob's home town, and where we both live since 2006.
Melbourne is Australia's second most populous city, with something for everyone. The city is well known for its arts and sporting culture.
- Sport: You must go and watch some sport at the MCG - a footy match in Winter or a cricket game in Summer.
- Shopping: the whole gamut from discount shopping along Bridge Rd Richmond to up-market shopping in Chapel St or the city.
- Trams: A trip to Melbourne would not be complete without a ride on a Melbourne tram. There is a free city loop train that goes past a few of the tourist spots.
- Culture: art galleries, museums, and theatres are abundant. Special mention to the new Melbourne Museum at the old Exhibition Buildings
- History: Old Melbourne Gaol, Captain Cook's Cottage
- Day trips:
- Phillip Island: to see the fairy penguins
- Great Ocean Road spectacular scenery
- Puffing Billy steam engine
- Weather: they say Melbourne is the place you can see all four seasons in a day.
Eating & Drinking:
- Lygon St, Carlton: Italian themed restaurant strip
- Brunswick St: good vego choices
- St Kilda: good pizza. Go and see a band at the 'Espie' (The Esplanade Hotel).
Other things you should know about:
- If coming or going by plane, you should read about the Melbourne Airport.
- If traveling from Melbourne to Tasmania, you should consider taking the Bass Strait Ferry.