We passed through this lovely country Victorian town in January 2005, and again with out kids in March 2016.
At the most a couple of hours drive from Melbourne, Bendigo is doable as a day trip, but most will visit while passing through. An old gold mining town, it has a lot of history that is worth checking out.
- Churches: It is not the city of churches, but it certainly does have it share of magnificent old church buildings.
- Bendigo Art Gallery: a fantastic gallery which houses an outstanding collection of modern, colonial and European art. Open daily 10am-5pm, entry by donation.
- One Tree Hill Lookout Tower: climb to the top (only 124 steps) to get a great overview of the town.
- Rosalind Park: a grand old park in the middle of town.
- Chinese Museum: the mining history of this town brought many Chinese immigrants to the town who has left their mark.
- Central Deborah Mine Tours: head down underground to see what it was like to work in Bendigo many years ago.
- walking tour: the information centre has pamphlets for a walking tour of the historical old buildings of the town, as well as other tours you can do.
Eating & Drinking:
- as with all old mining towns, there are plenty of old hotels, that thankfully have been restored to their former glory.
Other things you should know about:
- If you get hot, make your way to the public pool for a dip.